Thursday, October 10, 2013

Lines



This photo, taken outside of the attendance building, demonstrates the vertical lines of a palm tree. I took this picture by simply bending down, setting the camera on the base of the tree’s trunk, and snapping a picture looking upwards. When I first examined the photo I had taken, the background and the leaves of the tree were very washed out. Then, after a little touch of Photoshop magic, this picture above turned out to be my final product.

The photo above shows an architectural diagonal line. It is of the corner of a building, and the blue sky seems to pop against the dull color of the wall. I took this picture as I was walking by, and quickly aimed the camera up to the point of the building, capturing this picture. Not much Photoshop was used to get the bright colors of this picture. All I had to do was darken the picture (using multiply) to get what is shown above.
This photo is an example of a horizontal human-made line. I captured this photo from a slightly lower angle than the subject was standing. Since she was controlled and could hold this position for a long time, it was simple to take this picture without any blur. Although the photo is a bit washed out, the thing I like about it is that the colors in the background stand out against her lightly colored clothing.

 
I believe that this photo is one of my strongest that I have taken so far. The diagonal and horizontal lines of the bench and the trees are the focus of the picture. I also like that this picture was taken from a slanted angle. I positioned the camera so that it was tiled on the side of the bench, and the picture makes it seem that the world is tilted. I also like how the light reflects off of the bench. Although the picture was captured during the middle of the day, the light causes the picture to look as if it was taken during sundown or sunrise.
 
The most challenging part of this assignment was finding new and original angles that other students hadn’t already found. Everyone was trying to either get down low and look up at the subject, or look down it. Another challenging thing of the assignment was capturing the perfect picture, with the perfect amount of light. Sometimes, I would capture a picture that looked great through my eyes and even on the screen of the camera, but once I examined the photo on my computer screen, it was completely different than what I expected. We don’t have all the time in the world, so the difficult thing was trying to get the picture how I wanted it to look in my mind. Although Photoshop can do wonders with “bad” pictures, there’s only so much you can do before you have to go out and take the picture again.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment